Sunday, December 16, 2012

Old School Blog Material



This was the sort of thing I started the blog for!!! When I look something up (somewhat personal and/or bird related) for my own interest... I then though, hey -a blog would be a great place for this generally useless bit of information!

And here we are...

I knew Josh Vandermeulen had seen several birds on his 2012 "big year", that I still needed for my personal Ontario list! But just how many did he get??



Twelve by current count (and I may be missing some?) Here's the lowdown:


Norther Bobwhite - I've never been to Walpole Island...

Gray Partridge - another species I've never bothered to look for...

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch ... Much harder to get, although I've never gone to twitch one either...

Band-tailed Pigeon... --- 2 twichables in Ontario in my birding career, I should have went for this one in Feb 2012, and could have.. Although I tried half-heartedly to find someone to go with and failed in that regard, and never went...

White-winged Dove - doves hate me...  Would like to find one someday, rather than twitching... Maybe...

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - similar to the Band-tailed Pigeon, I've never bothered to look for one... I wanted to go for the beautiful bird in PEC this April, but it flew away before I had enough free time to make a trip...

Bell's Vireo... I was at Pelee for maybe 6 of the 9 day prior to the one being found in 2012, including the 3 days before the sighting.. I guess that's the way it goes! (And I wasn't about to drive all the way back to twitch it)

Little Blue Heron - high on my list of birds I want to find, rather than twitch... Call me lazy?

Snowy Egret - 2nd behind Slaty-backed Gull as my nemesis bird for Ontario... I actually tried to twitch one in Hamilton years ago and failed...

Great Cormorant - hasn't been any birds to twitch in Ontario for at least 10 years, and I sure haven't found one...

Northern Fulmar - No luck for me at Netitishi... Would be more exciting to find one on Lake Ontario someday, right??

Yellow Rail - I used to try a few places each spring in Hamilton, but never had it... The one year I go to James Bay in the summer is the year they aren't around!


I guess I need to get my "twitch on" if I want to stay competitive in this listing thing! 



No comments:

Post a Comment