Friday, March 13, 2015

FEB 2015 - 400 in Ontario - part tres




Where does the time go? FOUR years ago I wrote a blog post about trying to get my Ontario "life list" up to 400 species, and what it might take -

http://www.blog.peregrineprints.com/2011/01/400-in-ontario.html


Then, two years later (or ago) - I wrote an update!

http://www.blog.peregrineprints.com/2013/02/400-in-ontario-part-deux.html


So do you know what time it is?! It's time for the two year update!

-------------------------------------------------



My Ontario list currently stands at: 379


Here are the additions (in order of occurrence) since the last update:


Snowy Egret
Townsend's Warbler
Swallow-tailed Kite
Hammond's Flycatcher*
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Carolina Chickadee*
Brown-chested Martin*
Brown Booby*
Snowy Plover
Elegant Tern*

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Lazuli Bunting*


The space separates 2013 birds (top) from 2014 birds (below). Clearly 2013 was NUTS! Insane in the membrane!  So many good birds... 2014 was...n't so goo...

But wait - how did I go from 365 to 379 with only 12 additions? Well, once again, I had a bit of a surprise addition in the form of a 2009 Glaucous-winged Gull! ... Then I had some other surprise that I can't seem to figure out - cause ebird says I'm at 379, but I can't seem to find out where the extra species came from... (???)

Nonetheless, there is a disturbing trend here... Over these past two years my list has started to fill up with birds that have been REJECTED by the OBRC... Some are still under the review process (2) but I could inevitably end up with FIVE of these species on the stinker-list... It's not something that brings me warm tingly feelings at night, so I'll have to see how the last few fare before going banana's up-in-this-place...


(thankfully not rejected)

Based on my original list/predictions - I can breakdown the new birds into two categories... "Sorta-expected" and "not really expected"... Or predicted/not predicted...

Predicted (in 2010) - Snowy Egret, Townsend's Warbler, Swallow-tailed Kite, Eurasian-collared Dove, Snowy Plover, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher...

Not predicted - Hammond's Flycatcher, Carolina Chickadee, Brown-chested Martin, Elegant Tern and Lazuli Bunting... 

Since 2010, 14 of my 27 additions were on my "actually predicted list" but only 12 of the first 30 "I'll get these for sure" on my predictions... Not a horrible average, but not great. (I'm not complaining though). Needless to say, with the unexpected additions, I can expect to have at lest 15 species "left over"... Never mind the Glaucous-winged Gull... I technically saw the bird in 2009 (before the first list was written) and I "predicted" I would see it... But I hadn't identified the bird at the time... Not sure if that counts??? (who cares!)



An updated list of "code 1" birds (that I predicted)

Cinnamon Teal
Gray Partridge 
Willow Ptarmagin
Northern Bobwhite
Northern Fulmar
Great Cormorant
Little Blue Heron
Yellow Rail
Purple Gallinule
Ivory Gull
Slaty-backed Gull
White-winged Dove
Say's Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Northern Wheatear
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Gray-crowned Rosy-finch
Clark's Grebe

Still some easy ones.. Like Gray Partridge... (I don't like these introduced birds)... Which is exactly why I'm still missing Eurasian Tree Sparrow from my list!

The code 2 guesses remain the same... (yikes)...

Things also seem to be "on pace" for me to hit 400 around 31 (regardless of the low total in 2014 - I hope) yet things are always changing... The only way to know for sure will be to keep on looking!


No updates to the "400 self found" in Ontario for some time.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment