Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Re-naming our birds: Upland Game Birds, Loons, Greebes, Tubenoses & Pelicans



The POS list returns!! (see previous post & explanation here)...





Gray Partridge = Hungarian Partridge (back to the old / no hiding your ancestry!)

Ring-necked pheasant = Asian Pheasant (ditto)

Wild Turkey = Feral Turkey

Common Loon = Great Northern Loon (stealing from Europe here)

Pied-billed Grebe = Ring-billed Grebe

Horned Grebe = Flared Grebe

Eared Grebe = Tufted Grebe

Audubon's Shearwater = Complex Shearwater

Wilson's Storm-Petrel = Patter Storm-Petrel

Leach's Storm-Petrel = Northern Storm-Petrel

American White Pelican = Snowy Pelican






I thought about re-naming the Red-necked Grebe the Trump Grebe, but I didn't go there... I didn't !!! I didn't do it.

More to come...


5 comments:

  1. I prefer Great southern Loon Since does not breed as far north as it cousins and Since The Yellow-billed Loon is the Green headed loon of the mid arctic.

    For Sharp-tailed Grouse I call them Thunder Chickens at leks in Manitoulin and Ditch Chickens in Rainy River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COLO gave me a hard time (I may have spent 60 seconds on it, to mediocre results, so I hear ya...)...

      I may be forced to call STGR Thunder Chickens (or Thunder Grouse?) from here on - cause that one is plain awesome

      Delete
  2. There are some warblers that could use name changes too!

    ReplyDelete