I swear I don't (usually?) bird the same location, over and over again, like this... I also wish I had something slightly different to say, but it has been remarkably & consistently "good" at this location the last two falls. I keep waiting for the "big day" to hit.
One clear cut highlight - a "leucistic" type Yellow-bellied Flycatcher! Full list below:
Chimney Swift 80
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 10
Black-bellied Plover 2
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 15
Northern Harrier 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 3
Red-headed Woodpecker 5
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 10
American Kestrel 20
Merlin 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 24
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 10
Black-bellied Plover 2
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Osprey 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 15
Northern Harrier 3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 3
Red-headed Woodpecker 5
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 10
American Kestrel 20
Merlin 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 24
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 4
Traill's Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher 10
Empidonax sp. 15
Great Crested Flycatcher 4
Eastern Kingbird 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Philadelphia Vireo 8
Eastern Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 80
Blue Jay 5
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Purple Martin 15
Barn Swallow 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 8
Gray Catbird 2
Veery 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush 3
Swainson's Thrush 70
American Robin 10
Cedar Waxwing 200
House Sparrow 2
American Goldfinch 30
Chipping Sparrow 1
new world sparrow sp. 1
Bobolink 75
Baltimore Oriole 1
Northern Waterthrush 2
Black-and-white Warbler 8
Tennessee Warbler 22
Nashville Warbler 14
Common Yellowthroat 4
American Redstart 75
Cape May Warbler 45
Northern Parula 15
Magnolia Warbler 50
Bay-breasted Warbler 20
Blackburnian Warbler 3
Northern Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5
Blackpoll Warbler 50
Black-throated Blue Warbler 6
Palm Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
Black-throated Green Warbler 16
Canada Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 6
new world warbler sp. 750
Scarlet Tanager 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6
Indigo Bunting 1
Least Flycatcher 10
Empidonax sp. 15
Great Crested Flycatcher 4
Eastern Kingbird 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Philadelphia Vireo 8
Eastern Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 80
Blue Jay 5
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Purple Martin 15
Barn Swallow 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 8
Gray Catbird 2
Veery 1
Gray-cheeked Thrush 3
Swainson's Thrush 70
American Robin 10
Cedar Waxwing 200
House Sparrow 2
American Goldfinch 30
Chipping Sparrow 1
new world sparrow sp. 1
Bobolink 75
Baltimore Oriole 1
Northern Waterthrush 2
Black-and-white Warbler 8
Tennessee Warbler 22
Nashville Warbler 14
Common Yellowthroat 4
American Redstart 75
Cape May Warbler 45
Northern Parula 15
Magnolia Warbler 50
Bay-breasted Warbler 20
Blackburnian Warbler 3
Northern Yellow Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5
Blackpoll Warbler 50
Black-throated Blue Warbler 6
Palm Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
Black-throated Green Warbler 16
Canada Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 6
new world warbler sp. 750
Scarlet Tanager 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6
Indigo Bunting 1
Conditions were great for a "flight". Not quite ideal for low & close concentration. But overall, an exceptional birding morning. The first flavour of later-season species were present with more YRWA, a few YBSA and a BHVI among others. I'm pretty sure a CONW went by low but I didn't get a critical look.
The flight was fast and furious early, with birds high and on variable flight lines. Things slowed down fairly quickly too, and were nearly stopped by 9am.
For the photography, I rocked my 600mm lens here for the first time. I was a bit worried my arms might fall off, but it was manageable. The results were fairly similar, but I'm hoping they will improve with a bit more practice. Which means, I'll have to head back a few more times this year...
A sign of things to come! Every other YRWA I've had this year has been a ratty molting adult. I have to assume this is a hatch year bird?



No comments:
Post a Comment