Friday, January 22, 2010

Newfoundland - Jan 22

Jan 22nd - pictures taken today - 637
Pictures taken since Jan 9 - 8522

I decided today would be another exploration day. I went west! West I say... I checked several locations, from Portugal Cove to Colliers, stopping in several towns and coves along the way. At a sewer outflow I found the expected birds (Iceland and Black-headed Gulls etc), but it was also holding a handful of Greater Scaup, a Lesser Scaup and a fine drake Tufted Duck. Very few Black Guillemots the whole way (4), and no other alcids (boo)... I found 4 Green-winged Teal (incl 2 fine adult males), in a culvert along the highway with several Black Ducks. Common Loons, 100+ Common Goldeneye, A Lesser Black-backed Gull, Red-breasted and Common Mergansers - It started to feel like I was birding fresh water! I really had high hopes of some sick eider or alcid in close to shore, but constant sightings of the big gulls, Eagles and Ravens made me less and less confident of finding something. I eventually cut my losses and headed back to St. Johns. Hardly any finches around either! And no robins or waxwings......

I checked a few ponds when I returned. Burtons Pond had 24 Tufted Ducks - with several males looking really good - all in a tiny pool of open water. Someone arrived to feed the ducks, which meant all the Mallards & Blacks went up on shore - leaving clear views of the Tufted's. I spent some time taking pictures, until the other ducks returned. Still no sign of any Wigeon - never mind an adult male Eurasian - where did they go?

Back to Quidi Vidi for dusk. There was 3 Tufted Ducks at one end of the lake, and another female at the Virginia River outflow - making for 29 Tufted Ducks on the day. Not a bad count! The Common Gull was still around, but left before I could feed it. To top the day off, the adult Slaty-backed Gull was on the ice until I left for home.

 - hey there, nice tuft.

 - some very hungry ducks in town.

Fun fact of the day: Hamilton birders Bob Curry, Glenda Slessor and Cheryl Edgecombe have descended upon St. John's in a fury of bird-watching extravagance. We are heading down the south shore tomorrow in hopes of goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment