Monday, October 11, 2010

Oct 10th Zodiac Trip - Long-tailed Jaeger

Floated Jenn out into the boat early on Sunday morning. Short on time (Turkey dinner in the evening), we launched from Van Wagner's. We threw bread for a few hours, but didn't have too much (Bonaparte's, C Loons, 1 Juv. Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Parasitic Jaeger that didn't come in).

Jenn headed for a 3 hour work session around 11am. I went back out, and eventually continued the bread-toss. More distant Parasitic Jaegers, a Red-throated Loon, Another Lesser Black-back and more common birds until a small Jaeger did a quick fly-past .

Snapped some photos, and they confirmed my suspicions - my 11th Long-tailed Jaeger of the fall:


Juv. Long-tailed Jaeger, 


----- 

I think I wanted Pomarine Jaeger, so I continued to throw bread - even when the weather was clearly telling me to look for Red Pharlies and Pacific Loons. Next time I get out, more will happen!

-- Should also mention the huge flocks of White-winged Scoters (and lesser #'s of Long-tailed Ducks, Surf Scoters) - WAY out on the lake. Looking forward to future chances to scan them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment