Sunday, November 27, 2011

Van Wagner's Beach - early last week

I don't remember the exact day, but I was at Van Wagner's early last week when there was a very decent NE wind blowing. 2.5 hours was as long as I could last in the cold (and moderate bird activity).

Highlight was a close pass by this pomarine jaeger (not that you can tell from the photos) :



(all of the same bird)


Also picked up lots of ducks, a few Red-throated Loons, etc. I'm currently writing this on Sat Nov 26, and they're saying winds NE 50kmh on Wednesday (Nov 30)... Always hard to predict that far in advance, but somewhere around there could be one of the last chances until next August to do some lake watching. 

It's always good to check things last minute before a trip. I usually check:

Enviro Can for Burlington: 


Intellicast windcast: 


LOOFS guidance: 


Lift Bridge (Burlington) current conditions:


And also the Grimsby Buoy (a favourite), which is currently gone for the winter, and now useless. 


2 comments:

  1. Windfinder.com is another good one, not sure if you've heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One I don't use too often, but should! Thanks David

    ReplyDelete