Friday, July 25, 2014

Recent "rare" reverse migrants - to go with the previous post





While preparing the previous post on "reverse migrants" - I thought the species included were a bit outlandish. Then I started noticing all of the rare species I've seen in just the past few years, and it didn't seem so crazy.


The (my) rough tally:


Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (2014)
Western Kingbird (2014)
Carolina Chickadee (2013) - this bird essentially flew right to the tip, even after being present for 3+ days, so I'd say it qualifies (it didn't fly out over the lake, but pretty much did what other do when they "circle back")
Prothonotary Warbler (2013, 2012)
Kirtland's Warbler (2011)
Yellow-throated Warbler (2013)
Summer Tanager (2 in 2014, 1 in 2013, 5+ in 2011)
Western Tanager (2011)
Blue Grosbeak (2014)
Lazuli Bunting (2014)
Dickcissel (3 in 2014, 2 in 2011)




I know there have been other goodies reported as well (that I wasn't around for) at other locations. White-winged Dove, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Western Meadowlark (any others?) - it's a pretty solid list.




One could also argue that MANY of the vagrants that arrive at Point Pelee are "reverse migrants" in their own right. I know I've had Fish Crow, Common Raven, Black Swift, Mississippi Kite, American White Pelicans, Snowy Egrets, and probably a few other species that were essentially migrating southwards down the tip of Point Pelee...




Long story short, it's pretty exciting...


There are a number of species that I haven't mentioned - that are very much on my radar. Bell's Vireo, Lark Bunting, Eurasian Tree Sparrow, "other" rare Kingbirds, Say's Phoebe, Mountain Bluebird, Townsend's Solitaire, the "western" Warblers, Brewer's Sparrow, Scott's Oriole, Bronzed/Shiny Cowbirds....

There are so many other gem's to be found as well. For example, just imagine how confusing it would be to get a pigment-challenged Baltimore Oriole (male) to fly off? (eg,/ bright Yellow or Red?), a hybrid Warbler? More exotic birds? (I once had a Greenfinch at Pelee in April, flying south towards the tip).

And so much more!



No comments:

Post a Comment