Thursday, September 17, 2026

Night Watch - Point Pelee - Sep 14, 2026

 

After a small breakthrough in my nocturnal birding efforts, I was quite interested to try again. It was a bit more challenging this time. The birds were a higher and I only had ~2 hrs of sleep. But it was 110% worth it! 



Palm Warbler


The tally is every bird visually confirmed flying at night (i.e., no NFC's): 

Mourning Dove  3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Virginia Rail  1
Wilson's Snipe  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  1
American Bittern  1
Empidonax sp.  2
Red-eyed Vireo  23
vireo sp.  1
Veery  1
Gray-cheeked Thrush  1
Swainson's Thrush  6
Catharus sp.  3
Savannah Sparrow  12
Lincoln's Sparrow  2
new world sparrow sp.  3
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  3
Tennessee Warbler  3
Nashville Warbler  10
American Redstart  3
Magnolia Warbler  3
Bay-breasted Warbler  3
Blackburnian Warbler  2
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  7
Bay-breasted/Blackpoll Warbler  12     
Palm Warbler  5     
Black-throated Green Warbler  3
Wilson's Warbler  1
new world warbler sp.  18     
Scarlet Tanager  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  3
Indigo Bunting  1
passerine sp.  12     
bird sp.  3   



Wilson's Warbler


Perhaps it is due to my morning flight "training" - but even at night I can fairly quickly tell if I'm dealing with something standard (i.e., a Baypoll or a Red-eyed Vireo) or something unusual (a more colourful warbler species, or something weird like a Cuckoo). Yet there are still many surprises, some of which wait until home when I can look through the photos (i.e., the Lincoln's Sparrows!). 

A host of questions to be answered and many more ideas to test out! Also, some more pics on my ebird list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S392997719

I've got a host of "opinion" type material in my mind for the olde blog - but the birding has been consistently "good" enough that it has been filling my spare non-family time (and non-work time I guess). More to come! 




Virginia Rail


No comments:

Post a Comment