Saturday, September 19, 2026

Point Pelee - Morning Flight - Sep 14, 2026 (BLPW are here)

 

With 2 hours of sleep under my belt, it was time to try to hand-hold the 600 mm lens & blast at flying warblers... Not terribly showy, but Northern Waterthrush is a species that I am always hoping to improve my images of, so this was a highlight: 


Overall though, my photo-efforts were once again "fine" ... I'm not terribly happy with most of what I put on ebird, but they're good enough to keep for reference. 

One highlight was my 2nd trip in a row with Eastern Whip-poor-will observations (in flight!)... I assume two different birds, but it's hard to know for sure. Perhaps it's a regular occurrence at a place like this. You just need to start your birding 60 minutes before sunrise?! A Northern House Wren flew over a good 40 mins before sunrise too... As a very-rare-in-flight species, I thought it was pretty interesting...

It was my largest flight of the season based on total number of warblers. A real spectacle! I missed a lot of birds due to my photo efforts once again, but did my best to do a rough tally of warbler numbers as they passed. Blackpoll Warblers had arrived in big numbers. 


The tally: 

Mourning Dove  30
Common Nighthawk  1
Eastern Whip-poor-will  2    
Chimney Swift  6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  20
Sharp-shinned Hawk  8
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  8
American Kestrel  12
Merlin  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  55     
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher  5
Traill's Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher  15     
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  5
Cassin's/Blue-headed Vireo  1     
Philadelphia Vireo  12     
Eastern Warbling Vireo  1     
Red-eyed Vireo  110     
Blue Jay  5
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Tree Swallow  4
Purple Martin  1
Barn Swallow  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  40     
Northern House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  1
European Starling  50
Gray Catbird  2
Gray-cheeked Thrush  2
Swainson's Thrush  45
Cedar Waxwing  250
House Sparrow  2
Purple Finch  2
American Goldfinch  40
Red-winged Blackbird  100
Common Grackle  20
Northern Waterthrush  2
Black-and-white Warbler  14
Tennessee Warbler  20
Nashville Warbler  28     
Common Yellowthroat  2
American Redstart  25
Cape May Warbler  60     
Northern Parula  24     
Magnolia Warbler  30
Bay-breasted Warbler  50     
Blackburnian Warbler  8
Northern Yellow Warbler  2     
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Blackpoll Warbler  600     
Bay-breasted/Blackpoll Warbler  50     
Black-throated Blue Warbler  4
Palm Warbler  9
Pine Warbler  2     
Yellow-rumped Warbler  15
Black-throated Green Warbler  20
Wilson's Warbler  15
new world warbler sp.  750     
Scarlet Tanager  5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  8
Indigo Bunting  2


https://ebird.org/checklist/S392967947



I did a short stop at Zion Rd. in Chatham-Kent, and lucked into great looks at a Striped Saddlebags. No photos unfortunately.  18 American White Pelicans flew east with 3 Sandhill Cranes.  It will be interesting to see if the pelicans continue their march east in the coming years. 

A short hawkwatch near Eagle, ON produced maybe ~750 Broad-winged Hawks, but I couldn't stay very long with commitments at home! I've got my fingers crossed that the right combination of winds & rain over the coming days can produce a big flight of this species. Thankfully, the "boring" El Nino weather continues to produce "good enough" birding conditions on a regular basis. More to come! 




No comments:

Post a Comment