Saturday, December 11, 2010

Birds of the week

Well I didn't get out much, but I did see some birds.

Yesterday Jenn and I found our way to the Niagara birding area, and had some highlights. My favourite was great looks at a Northern Saw-whet Owl (that Jenn found), which was the first I'd seen since last year. Jenn's self-professed bird of the day was a cooperative Tufted Titmouse.

We spent a few hours looking around at the river, highlighted by the expected gulls.

1 Little Gull (adult) at Queenston)
3 Thayer's Gulls at Adam Beck (good looks too!).
7-8 Iceland Gulls (mainly Adam Beck)
4 Lesser Black-backed Gulls (mainly Adam Beck).
1 Leucistic adult Herring Gull (Adam Beck) - funny lookin brown/white bird..


---------------------


So what else did I have.. hmm

Had a Rusty Blackbird staying with a flock of Mourning Doves. Decent winter bird, and strange behaviour.


hmm

And a few Lapland Longspurs! Can you find the LALO in the above picture? It's actually a full-frame shot. Will have to edit it properly and add it to my website... If I ever get some work done on my website



oh, and I also had some Redpolls. Just like everyone else. 

We get it. Redpolls are moving into southern Ontario. We get it. seriously. just stop. please. 

----

Looking forward to this large "winter storm" arriving late Saturday/Sunday.  Keep an eye on current forecasts, and follow all pre/post storm protocols for storm birding. I know I will be. 


1 comment:

  1. I found the Lapland. It is the fourth most bird from the bottom. Nice photo quiz.

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete