Wednesday, December 1, 2010

work work work




Two birds myself and a co-worker found last week. My 2nd CAEG found this fall. So far this week: no birding. Emails, photos and data entry at work. It's 3:30pm, and I've got my "December list"* up to 1 species so far (American Crow). Hopefully some work-birds later in the week, and some real birding this weekend(?)

----------------------------------------
A few fun things recently:

presumed Lesser Black-backed X Ring-billed Gull hybrid from Europe:


strange hybrid gull from North American. Ring-billed Gull X (Lesser B-backed??) ???



Black-headed Gull in Ohio


--- do note that the fine drawing of a Little Gull on the top of that page was inspired by a photo of yours truly. Unfortunately, the drawing is a lot better than the picture! :P



Black-tailed Gull in St. John's, NL today. Found by Dave Brown. Got a message from Bruce Mactavish who was boasting something about getting Wilson's Warbler, Common Gull, Yellow Warbler, Slaty-backed Gull, Yellow-legged Gull, White-winged Dove and Black-tailed Gull for his winter list already this year. Sure beats my crow. 



2nd basic Ross's Gull in Nebraska. Bird must be SUPER pink, because it's hard to get the pink to show in photos. 



------------------------------------

I've got high hopes of getting the boat onto Lake Ontario for some winter-boating, if the weather ever cooperates. Other than that, I'm keeping my eye on the James/Hudson Bay Ice.

I've got plans on finding at least 1 new species for my Ontario list before January 15th. Some suggestions: Ivory Gull, Slaty-backed Gull, Thick-billed Murre, Northern Fulmar, Glaucous-winged Gull..... It IS a la nina year after all. 

ok back to work!


* I don't actually keep a "december list"



No comments:

Post a Comment