Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Common Merganser

At the time of writing, I've managed to get 266 pictures re-sized for the website - or 1/4 of the re-sizing I expect to do in order to start getting my website back online. Not bad, considering it's painfully boring.

One neat thing is the chance to go back over all of the images I've edited over the years; and occasionally making changes. Sometimes I notice a dust spot that wasn't removed, or a slight change in crop. Occasionally I ponder what the duck I was thinking and re-do most of the post-processing.


--- but that's not all. I often find myself remembering exactly what was happening while I was taking the picture, and I often find myself able to re-create the feelings I had at the time - even when I took the picture years ago! Sounds crazy right? Well it is...


Enter, the Common Merganser. I spoke to anyone who would listen: this could well be the toughest bird to photograph in town. They're amazingly nervous, and yet not rare enough to warrant serious effort to capture them. Then came one fateful day at the Burlington ship canal; January 25, 2009

The wind was from the northwest at 350kmh, right across the frozen bay and in my face... Temperatures fell to somewhere around minus 96 C. (don't bother trying to calculate windchill) - just take my word on it... It was cold...              

And there I was before the sun rose - bundled up to the max, lying on the cold concrete and wishing for ducks. What happened? Well the ducks arrived. Scaup, Redhead, Bufflehead, Goldeneye, Long-tailed Ducks, White-winged Scoters. They were all so close, I took my teleconverter off and photographed them at close range. No one dared wander down the pier in the killer weather - so I was alone to enjoy the ducks presence for hours. 

They eventually came. Common Mergansers. The bird I thought I might never really get. Close and comfortable with me - I took home dozens of images and was happy as someone could be in the nutty weather. 

So what's the point of this story? I don't know... But it reminds me of a happy time outside, and provides some extra motivation to get this junk done so I can head back outside to photograph the ducks again (and the other birds, of course ;)   )






3 comments:

  1. The wind chill works out to -171.12 C Thats nothing. It's a scientific fact that global warming has made it warmer now then when I was your age. ;-)

    Keep up the good work. We are looking forward to seeing your website back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently obtained a copy of the Birds of Niagara and was delighted to see that there are MANY of your photos in it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments :) -- I was really happy with how Birds of Niagara was done. As a photographer, it's great to see a book loaded with colour photos on quality paper. I'm sure you're really going to enjoy the book!

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete