Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Less than 10 records for Ontario!

I spent some time doing something I probably didn't have time to do: looking over OBRC reports from the past 30+ years - to see what sort of rarities arrive in March:

The criteria was any bird species with less than 10 records for Ontario (the really really rare birds)... So what, in the last 30 years, has been FOUND in March? The answer:

Nothing


Well, that's not 100% true. One Ontario record of Ferriginous Hawk is from March 17th... But other than that.. Nothing... It's really terrible... Yes, you can find Black-headed Gulls, rare geese/ducks, maybe a Gyrfalcon, Hoary Redpolls, etc.. But there is virtually NOTHING in the super-duper rare department to be found.


A good March bird for Ontario


Then it happens! A rare bird in Ontario? No... Ohio:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60299532@N07/sets/72157626211286482

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveslager/5504316880/in/photostream/

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2009065&id=164901416&l=07d10a0a1b


Ohio's 2nd record of ROYAL TERN.. in MARCH!!! ... It seemed almost impossible, but it's true. Reported as a Caspian Tern for a few days, it was eventually nailed down (and it sounds like a lot of people got to see it as well)..

Not bad.. not bad at all, Ohio! 



Just for Ohio fun... Some samples of Royal Tern photos from my Florida trip a few years ago. All pictures taken this time of year! 




4 comments:

  1. Not a lot shows up in March come to think about it. The Sage Thrasher I found in 1997 (Ontario's 7th) was rather unique in my books. (Its on my bedroom window list!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been quite the shock Blake! I think Sage Thrasher was left off my list, since there is now more than 10 records, but I guess it shows that Ontario has some great birding if we have 10+ records of a bird like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please tell me the name of the bird just above your caption about March? It has the yellow at the very base of the tail and the head has the plume. I just saw it last week (twice in one day) and I don't know what kind it is.Thanks

    ReplyDelete