Thursday, March 31, 2011

Phase 2 of the revoloution - American Robin photoshoot


American Robin - Port Burwell - Mar 24, 2011 - full frame

 I told you there would be new photos. After the large and unexpected snowstorm on Mar 23, 2011 - I decided to head to Port Burwell to search for rarities and photo-op's. The sightings from that day have already been covered. Now it's time for some photos.


I was hanging out in Aaron Allensen's yard, famous for producing some of the rarest birds in Ontario over the past few years. (Monarch Landing - spectacular habitat). When Robins were busy squabbling for food, I set my tripod up near a popular sumac, and waited for the birds to return. The morning light was great, and a few birds were eventually cooperative. 


Continuing on the new photography style of "take them where they land", I'm also going to work on getting excessive depth-of-field with these photos. A good example is the above photo, where there is pretty good focus right from the bill to the tip of the tail. In the past, I was always worried about trying to get the bird more parallel to the lens - but that makes your photos more limited. 


The extra added dept-of-field also means that branches etc. in the background will not be "blurred out" as much, but I'm starting to wonder if it truly makes a difference. Sometimes, no matter how "blurred" a branch in the background is - it's just too ugly to be ignored. Sometimes, like the above photo, it doesnt matter either way!


More photos from Aaron's fabulous yard will hopefully be up soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment