Friday, March 4, 2011

Early migrant Black Vultures

I'm sorry the Redpoll thing I was working on got delayed, hopefully in a few days I'll have it online.

-------


We're getting back into the swing of things, with migration moving full steam ahead. One thing I've been noticing in recent years is that Black Vultures seem to migrate fairly early in the season (as vagrants) with Turkey Vultures. I saw a bird last year on Mar 19 at Beamer C.A. in Grimsby - Well before the expected peak of TUVU migration in late March / early April.

So far there has been at least 1 bird fairly far north in Ohio, and two near Lake Ontario in New York. The Great Lakes probably "block" some birds from entering the province, and nearby hawkwatches have average 4:1 on their sightings of BLVU compared to the hawkwatch in Grimsby, but it's something to note!



Flying earlier in the hawk migration than you might expect!

--------

No comments:

Post a Comment