Thursday, December 1, 2011

Another jaunty to the River - Looking for gulls

Returned to the river yesterday (had the day off). I did not look for the Black Vultures or the Pelican, and therefore did not see them. I did not look for the Razorbill, but saw it anyways --- a very cool bird.


Here's the low-down on the non gulls

Tufted Titmouse @ Dufferin Island --- finally got this overdue species for my year list (now 297!) at a very expected place .

Pomarine Jaeger - first floated past me at the Queenston Docks on the river. I then moved to Adam Beck, and it soon followed me there and harassed dozens of birds. (really awesome looks from above - see video from a few days ago). I returned to Adam Beck at 4pm (5-6 hours later) and it was still there.

Razorbill - morning. same spot


------------

Gulls:

California - same adult on Goat Island in NY

Franklin's Gull - the 1st ba. flew past me at the NOTL flypast

Little Gull - 2 adults at Queenston. 4 birds (1 2nd ba. 3 ad's) at the flypast

Thayer's Gull - 3 at Adam Beck (adult, 2nd ba, juv) --- I actually had 2 solid solid Thayer's Gulls before I had any Iceland or Lesser B-backs... The juv was remarkably dark.

Bonaparte's Gull - 1 alternate (breeding) plumaged adult at the flypast .

10 species for the day. (missed Glaucous)


---- Things are still do-able for the big day gull record of 15 species, considering how mild it has been - there must still be some more gull migration to happen. You're only Glaucous, Mew, Kittiwake, Sabine's and Black-headed away from the world record. You're also welcome to substitute Slaty-backed or Ross's into that list too!




--------------------------------------------------

Not that I'm a winter lister, but it seems like a darn good year to do one in Ontario. Really warm recently, and a buck load of rarities hanging around already

No comments:

Post a Comment