Saturday, December 24, 2011

Search and you shall receive - something different?

Continued my trend to turn up a Barrow's Goldeneye while working.  And wouldn't you know it, I found something. It just wasn't a Barrow's Goldeneye.


It was a female Harlequin Duck, as you can see. Not a bad consolation prize... But it started to open my eyes. I have been bird-working the entire fall without seeing anything terribly spectacular, yet a shift in focus has turned up a fun hybrid and a fun species in this recent bird..

Is there something to this? Are you going to find what you're looking for? I've spent weeks and weeks and weeks just aimlessly birding, and seen thousands of common species, but will you have a much greater success with a specific goal in mind and specific focus?

Or is it just dumb luck?


2 comments:

  1. I seem to find more rarities when I'm actively looking for them...although never the ones I'm actually looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true it is!


    -------------

    David Bell said...
    I seem to find more rarities when I'm actively looking for them...although never the ones I'm actually looking for...

    ReplyDelete