Sunday, July 28, 2013

Condo birding update - June 5th to July 27th



I know this is a pretty crummy blog post, but in all fairness, I wasn't going to post anything today at all... So if you're bored out of your mind and surfing the internet today - hopefully it'll provide some limited reading material...


-----------

When I left my condo (late April) there was always birds to look at. At any point in time, something cool might fly past or be sitting offshore!

When I got back to my condo (very very rarely in late June/early July) I noticed something. For the first time since I had moved in - there really isn't much to see... Common and Caspian Terns fly by steadily, but they get boring.

There's nothing out there!


Life has been, well... "Life" recently... This is perhaps the busiest I've ever been at work, and I've probably stayed somewhere other than my condo an average of 6 nights/week for the past 4 months, and I haven't reallyyy had the chance to enjoy my time around here. That's going to change, starting this week!

Heck, I'm still booked to work 12 of the next 13 days, but at least half of those are "local" so I'll get to actually sleep in my own bed. If I'm lucky and get some bad weather, I might actually get an extra day off!

---------

I've also noticed a recent shift in the birdlife around my place. Breeding season is over #&$%&#*! And things are only getting better now...

From the condo, I've noticed an increase in "interesting" birds - migrant adult Bonaparte's on the lake, bigger feeding frenzies of cormorants, flocks of swallows moving along the lakeshore. It may seem boring, but seeing more Great Blue Herons, or a flyby Eastern Kingbird gives me a lot of hope and excitement for interesting birds on the move! (yes, those are recent sightings).

After being rather stressed recently, I found a way to get some work done while enjoying the outdoors and birds. Seems basic, but I haven't been home enough to take advantage of it. For most of the spring, my balcony was under construction. Now it's done! And I set up a "new" workspace today (Saturday 27th).



Completing work while watching the Lake! Awesome!

It made me darn excited. A flyby Common Loon, a juv Red-tail and some flocks of Bank Swallows and Purple Martins were the best sightings (as well as a wedding down below me)... 


Recently there was at least one, possibly 3-4 juvenile WOOD STORKS near Lake Erie in Ohio.. I couldn't help but picture one sailing along the lakeshore the entire time I was working....

It may seem trivial, but it was a zenful experience for a few hours.




recent sunset 



No comments:

Post a Comment