Saturday, November 27, 2010

Seal ID Help!

Now that I hopefully still have some peoples attention, I'm very curious to nail down some ID's on these seals!

On Nov 15th, I managed to sneak out at low tide, and get some so-so shots of a younger Bearded Seal resting on a rock at low tide.


Note the square flipper and "beard"! The black T on the head fades as the seal matures. (At least, I think that's what Bruce Mactavish told me in Newfoundland, where Bearded Seals were hard to come by).


--------------

Then, November 16th struck with a flurry of seal-goodness. It was pretty obvious by mid morning that there was considerably more seals around than previous days. At low tide, Alan and I wandered out onto the mud, and tried to photograph several that had "come ashore" on rocks, near the mouth of a small creek.

The strange part, none of this "wave" of seals were Bearded. It was a very calm and still day, but a storm the next day sent most of the seals packing. So, what were they?

All of these seal photos were quickly edited for ID! The quality shots will appear sometime in the future:



SEAL ID 1: One of the larger "mystery" seals. Several had this dark stripe down the back. 
______________________________________________________

Seal ID 2... Two more of the "dark stripe" types. 


I think these are the same two seals, with a 3rd on the size. Different angle and light. 

______________________________________________________





Seal ID 3:. A young pup that allowed me to get very close. 

______________________________________________________



Seal ID 4. No idea what this fella is. 

___________________________________________________


Seal ID 5:. Same species as the pup (seal 3)? Funny lookin creature. 

______________________________________________________



An adult Ringed Seal??? I still have no idea, but ringed seal would be a life-mammal for me! 



-------


So there you have it! Seals in Ontario! At least 2, possibly 3 species here. (Harbor(?) Ringed(?) and Bearded!). 

Any ID help is very welcome. Comments can be emailed to me, or left below (you can even leave them anonymously if you want!). 

More Netitishi soon!



4 comments:

  1. Cool shot of the Bearded Seal! For the mystery seal, I would vote for Ringed Seal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Blake, I think Ringed Seal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious, where and when were the photos taken?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of them are ringed seals with a couple of bearded seal photos mixed into the mix.

    ReplyDelete