Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A mobile blog posting!

Still no guarantees on internet usage, so here's a quick birding (yes, real birding) update:


The date: June 19th

The place: Amherst Island, KFN property

The birds:

Semipalmated Sandpiper: 1
White-rumped Sandpiper: 2
Dunlin: 1
Short-billed Dowitcher: 1
Semipalmated Plover: 2
Wilson's Phalarope: 4 (breeding)

Plus Killdeer, Spotties, Snipe and Woodcock for a 10 shorebird species day! Pretty great for June 19th...

We also turned up a few late ducks, including 8 Common Goldeneye and 4 Red-breasted Mergansers.

Not bad at all!


Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
Envoyé sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le réseau de Bell.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Brandon.

    The RB Mergs are most likely not late ducks. This species is a widspread breeder in the islands of eastern Lake Ontario (see second breeding atlas). In 2010 I had clutches on false and main duck islands, amherst, salmon, pigeon, timber, and snake islands. Also I saw well over a 1000 loitering nonbreeding-post breeders around these islands. For this species around the great lakes I have found give it an island and it will give you a nest. As for the COGos I agree they are late/loitering non breeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the correct info Tyler! I guess that's what I get for posting on my phone (who am I kidding, I probably would have done the same at any time ;) )

    ReplyDelete