Wednesday, June 22, 2011

PROW!

More new spring photos. One beautiful thing about birding Pelee Island this spring was the steady song of a Prothonotary Warbler (or two) coming from the wet woods at Fish Point. We enjoyed looking just about every day, but only once did I have my camera out and ready for some photos:



This stunning male had set up shop, and we decided to walk down for a visit. When we arrived, he was on the "wrong" side of the road from his box. It wasn't hard to plan my next move, and I set up my tripod on the road as he slowly worked closer to me. Eventually he stopped at the edge of the road, allowed half a dozen photos, before taking flight and continuing to feed on the "right" side of the road!

As he took flight, I managed a lucky shot (that I was actually really pleased with):


PROW in flight! I found something pleasing about the flight feathers in this image. I usually feel like most people don't like these "odd" shots as much as I do... What do you think, is it good? 


 They have to be one of the very most spectacular warblers we get to see!



It was already pretty late, so we watched him feed for a while longer.... Getting dark, my Dad and I were really stunned to see him (apparently) find a place to sleep for the night ?? 



He moved up against the trunk here, stopped moving all together and started closing his eyes! Is this how warblers sleep at night? We watched for a good 20 minutes before we were ready to leave ourselves, and he didn't budge (even when large vehicles drove past 25 feet away!  Not something you get to see everyday. 





http://peregrineprints.com/zz_PROW.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment