Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ebird observation?

I just noticed an ebird alert for New York for WOOD STORKS (4)

Here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/?q=42.2022954,-79.4643259%20(Wood%20Stork)


Now it doesn't seem to be on any listserv at the time of writing (it just showed up on ebird itself)... But with the huge drought in Texas (and somewhat in florida etc)... Maybe Wood Stork should have been on the radar all along? The species is known to make massive flights to find feeding places when their home range dries up...


This could either be the vanguard to a movement of this species, or just a mistake in the ebird reporting process?

But I'm tired, it's late, and the post I put online today was just gulls, so I decided to do a little extra. If I learn anything new, I'll update!


2 comments:

  1. Just posted on a NY list:

    On Wed, August 3rd, Gil and Jann Randall had four WOOD STORKS fly over their
    heads and then land in the tree tops of a nearby woodlot. They only stayed
    there about 30 seconds before taking off, heading in a southwesterly
    direction. They have been looking for them today and if I get any further
    positive news, I will post to these lists.



    Location:

    The birds were seen from NY Route 394, next to the Chautauqua Golf Course,
    in the Town of Chautauqua, Chautauqua County, NY. This is on the west side
    of and only a fraction of a mile from Chautauqua Lake.



    Good birding!

    Willie

    ------------------

    Willie D'Anna

    Betsy Potter

    Wilson, NY

    dannapotterATroadrunner.com

    http://www.betsypottersart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another recent post:

    To add to Willie's post, today I received a message from a friend regarding 4
    Wood Storks at the state fish hatchery on Prendergast Blvd. in the Town of
    Chautauqua but the details were scant and no definite confirmation was
    available. I had assumed that the report was from today but seeing Willie's
    post regarding yesterdays sighting in the exact same area, I may be referring
    to the same sighting. This same friend checked the hatchery at about 6:00pm
    with no luck. Anyone looking in that area should keep the hatchery in mind.


    Joe Mitchell


    ------------


    Here's hoping it's the vanguard, and one (or more?) find their way to Ontario! I've always really liked this species

    ReplyDelete