Monday, August 29, 2011

Gatorland Part 2


M on the map (actually the location of C).. I visited this spot 2+ weeks later at the end of my trip. 




I decided to make my 2nd trip to gatorland a 2nd article/note. Why? Because it was almost a different place! Since I made my visits early in the breeding season, each passing day can bring new birds into the rookery and different species starting to nest. Since my first visit, Tricoloured Herons had started nesting, more Snowy Egrets had arrived and the first Cattle Egret was searching around for nesting spots. The big difference for me (and the reason why I went back) was the spoonbills!

During my first visit, there was a few young Roseate Spoonbills that arrived at dusk, I managed a few shots, but they wern't terribly active. After reading that some adult Spoonbills had arrived (3 adults, along with a few subadults and young birds), I knew I had to go back! I hadn't had much luck with this species throughout the trip so far - and it's a very desirable species.

Around 4:30pm the 7 Spoonbills arrived and put on a good show for the photographers present. All birds were stealing sticks from nests, fighting with each other, flying around and landing on some open prominent perches. One adult male (photo below) had some beautiful yellow on his head, to go along with the stunning pink plumage.

Everytime a Spoonbill was around, photographers would take pictures of it. It was like we were moths to the flame! But I could really understand why, amazing colours to go along with the amazing adaptations make them a stunning bird to see!

The next morning I spent some time working on flight shots, and tring to get another species I was still missing - the Cattle Egret! I didn't get anything terribly good of the Egret, but I did get a few shots! Limpkin were also more active in the area, along with some Barred Owls I heard early in the morning before the gates opened. I would love to be at a Rookery for a whole season, to see the changes take place, but I don't think it will happen for a long time! It was very much worth another visit though, 2 weeks after my first, to get some different photos. In my last few minutes at Gatorland, a Swallow-tailed Kite flew over low - anything can happen in Florida!


Why I went back later:








No comments:

Post a Comment