Thursday, August 4, 2011

Today's birding! (or was it yesterday)?

Aug 4, 2011 Birding (there we go)


Started at Tilbury:

Noteworthy is at least 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, 1 probable Long-billed Dowitcher, and 1 possible Short-billed Dowitcher... I've never enjoyed fall (adult) Dowitchers... Well that's not true, I like Short-billeds... i've just never enjoyed the thrill of hunting for LBDO's at this time of year.

Was still nice though:

Mega Long bill, rich colour, blackish back and gave the right calls. 1 of 2 (the other one didn't call, but i'm fairly sure). 

Also had 4 Green Herons and 5 Black-crowned Night-Herons here (alongside the egrets and great blues) 


---------------------

Checked Wheatley Harbour, Hillman Marsh, Seacliffe beach and Point Pelee to little success in the rarity department. 

The strangest observation was a Goose near Wheatley, that (i thought) was feeding from a garbage bag..... 


Until I got closer... When I noticed it was attacking cars that drove past!!! Seemed to be trying to defend the garbage bags!!! Was a very odd sight. Don't believe me? Check for yourself!




You'll notice that there is also some sort of domestic Mallard like thing in the driveway.... I really have no idea what is going on there... The video is pretty short, but as I drove past, the goose actually ran behind the car with it's wings out!! (until I was officially chased away)... What an odd goose


------------------

Anyways. Birding. 

I didn't have much else of note. hmm... I then went to Cedar Beach, where I was really shocked to see the tiny beach loaded to the brim with Ring-billed Gulls (and other gull/tern friends):

(click for full size)

Lots of baby Bonaparte's around... There were at least 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls in the flock, all starting to molt into 2nd basic plumage. 

(1 of 3 seen)

----------------------

I rounded out the day checking Holiday Beach and area, and even moved (inland) up to the Canard River, where I saw nothing of note.  I swear I looked at over 100 Herons today, including numerous G egrets and Night-Herons... Yet nothing unusual! We MUST annex this Pte Mouillee place








No comments:

Post a Comment