Thursday, August 4, 2011

Little birding

Ken Burrell and I checked out Mitchell and Grand Bend Sewage Lagoons yesterday (or 2 days ago?).. And didn't see a whole lot at either one.... I think we are in a slump between adult and juvenile migration (lots of Juvenile yellowlegs and least sandpipers were seen).

Our highlight was 2 Juv. Wilson's Phalaropes @ Grand Bend. I tried to take a video of them...


I know the video isn't great, but it was taken at like 95x zoom (yes, 95).. 35 of which is optical, the rest digital. Just trying it out for when I find a really rare bird in the future. I kind of enjoy "documentation quality" video. 

Ken posted more about our visit on his blog here (and more info on the species we saw)


-----------------------------

Yesterday (the actual yesterday) I had some work in eastern Ontario. I checked Presquile around 9am very quickly... Mainly due to the fact there were NO SHOREBIRDS on the beach. I actually walked the marsh trail twice and heard no rails/bitterns either... Kinda slow?

I then did the KFN property on Amherst. Had 1 Pectoral, 1 Least and 2 American Bitterns in the main lagoon, and was too lazy to continue further to the sandbar. It was pretty slow.

I did see an Upland Sandpiper on Amherst, which was nice. Won't see too many (any) more of those awesome birds...


----------------------------

Doing more birding "today", which I may post about "tomorrow"... Since the above news is pretty dull, here's another fun video I took recently. Nothing of note really, just some fun watching birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment