Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Condo Birding Update - August to date!




Condo-bolt from ~10 days ago.. My first lightning photo taken when it isn't (wasn't) totally dark outside.. (Dusk-ish)...  To the birds! - 



On August 3rd I did another "work on the balcony" day... It was awesome. I somehow managed to sort/delete over 100gb of photos - one of my most productive days in recent memory. I also managed to see some birds. Nothing too crazy, but birds nonetheless... Highlights:


N. Flicker (flying high)
Purple Martins
Cedar Waxwing

Bonaparte’s Gulls (incl 1 Juvenile) - pretty early for a juv on Aug 3 'round here... 

Great Blue Herons (sev) 
3 Shorebird sp (high and distant over VWB - large; looked like something rare...)


Carolina Wren (singing) - nice to have a resident in the patch...



=====================


August 10th - on my drive home from work (yes I worked all Saturday).. I noticed a Great Egret in the west end of my patch (confed park)... It's a sign that things continue to get more exciting!



(great record photo - i know) 



=====================


August 12th - I had an 8am meeting in Guelph... So what happened? I somehow managed to wake up 30 minutes before my alarm (I rarely even get out of bed before 8), and stood on my balcony to do a "morning watch"

The highlights in 30 minutes:

TWO NEW CONDO BIRDS, BABY! First since MAY... MAY I tell ya!


About 20-25 minutes in, I had 3 shorebirds flying overhead along the shore (maybe 200-250ft up - which isn't that far away when you're on the 17th floor)... Two species - both NEW -

Lesser Yellowlegs (2) and an adult Black-bellied Plover!!!

Also scored a Bonaparte's Gull, a Common Loon, 2 Long-tailed Ducks - a high flying Yellow Warbler and another unusual Flicker flying high and along the shore (going west, like the YWAR)...

Rather exciting for me...


=====================



Toronto recently at sundown... 




No comments:

Post a Comment