Friday, August 28, 2026

A Three Day Lakewatch (Aug 22-24, 2026 -- Lake Huron)

 

Sorta. Not really. 


For some reason, whenever I'm excited about a weather system, I'm tempted to bird the "system" a few extra days. It gives me a baseline to compare with the "good" day. 

The "good" day was Monday August 24... My family happened to be away on Saturday & Sunday - so those were my baseline days. Here how it went down: 

-----------------------


Aug 22: Ipperwash Beach (Lake Huron):  https://ebird.org/checklist/S385906899

Light winds (generally SE) and scattered rain passing on either side of me.... Generally "poor" lakewatch conditions, but I sometimes find these crawling rain bands get the birds active. 

Noted sightings:  A few BWTE & NSHO, a handful of shorbs, RTLO, and a distant but enjoyable LTJA chasing terns. A very small "morning flight" of warblers down the shore as well. Not bad for a day with zero expectations. 



-----------------------


Aug 23: Ipperwash Beach (Lake Huron): https://ebird.org/checklist/S386220863 

This was a fairly typical (if breezy) cold front passage in our area. Its' quite early in the season for a lakewatch here, but Jaegers had been reported at several locations already around the Great Lakes (incl yesterday), so I was interested to see what would happen. 

Noted Sightings: Another handful of shorbs (incl 1 RNPH & 1 REKN), and some very distant sightings of LIGU, RTLO & BLTE. 

In general - expectations were higher - but the birding was perhaps less fun than the day before! 



-----------------------


Aug 24: Grand Bend Beach (Lake Huron): https://ebird.org/checklist/S386537702 

Kaboom. This was "the day". The low pressure system had stalled and pretty much "circled back" on itself - giving phenomenal connection of winds from James Bay to Lake Huron. Cooler temperatures had kicked off a lake effect rain band as well. 

Noted Sightings: just as it was getting light enough to see, flocks of peeps were passing every few minutes. A majority were WRSA - an uncommon species around here! They soon slowed down but other "James Bay" shorebirds picked up the slack. Locally uncommon to rare species like HUGO, WHIM, REKN, AGPL, etc. It was quite the event! 

A rather small increase in ducks (ABDU, NOPI, GWTE) but notably "James Bay" flavoured as well. Only 1 Jaeger (PAJA) was a bit of a surprise, but I wasn't complaining!


A HUGO/AGPL mixed flock (above). 

I had other commitments - and left while the odd flock of birds was still passing. I suspect it would have been entertaining all day!




No comments:

Post a Comment