It was fairly "known" that some amazing things were happening in the bird world - at night - in Cape May in recent years...... With a notable publication our earlier this year detailing their work:
Story via the Cornell Website: Study reveals new technique to identify individual night-flying birds for the first time
Paper: https://academic.oup.com/auk/article/143/2/1/8506565?login=false
Citation:
Johnson, T. B., D. Gochfeld, M. C. Roach, G. A. Apte, R. Gallardy, S. C. Wilson, A. Marden, D. J. Irons, A. Farnsworth, and C. L. Rutt (2026). Seeing in the dark: Using thermal imaging to directly observe nocturnal migration. Ornithology 143:ukaf074.
==============
Long story short, I didn't think this type of equipment was in the cards for me (expensive) - but the potential to learn more about bird movements & migration was just too much to bear! So as of a few days ago, I've found a way to make it work - and I'm really looking forward to putting it to use in the coming months.



No comments:
Post a Comment