With a ripper of a NE wind on Oct 30, 2025 - I decided to bird Van Wagner's Beach (VWB) in Hamilton, Ontario. A famous inland location to view "pelagic" birds like Jaegers. Sure, the drive was long - but I grew up in Hamilton and I would probably run into some familiar faces while enjoying the birds.
Yet six hours into the watch I hadn't seen another birder. Where was everyone? Yes, it was late October, and a Thursday... But I couldn't help but think about the state of the birding community.
The above photo was taken over 20 years earlier at VWB in late September (on a weekday). If you wanted to add Pomarine Jaeger or Northern Gannet, to your life or year list - your best bet was to go to VWB when the winds were blowing. In fact, prominent community members would actively tell you the same - go during east winds - bring a scope - and a crowd of people will join you in the search.
Today, the best way to see those species for the first time - is to make sure your phone beeps at you - when one is reported somewhere (Discord).
I followed this train of thought further. A welcome element (for me) back in 2005 was a chance to discuss bird identification, gull molt, or even just see something like a Pomarine Jaeger well. A chance for study and learning. There were not thousands of images available online for review. There were people you could actually talk to (face to face) about birds and birding. Today, you can largely scratch that "itch" by joining a Facebook Gull or Jaeger group, without leaving home.
Many others enjoy the competitive side of birding. As noted, if you wanted to add Northern Gannet to your year list, you should probably be at VWB. Even more so, if you wanted to compare your list to everyone else, you were going to encounter other listers at VWB. Had anyone else managed to break 300 so far this year!? You could talk to people (face to face) and find out.
Now, you can get your fill by checking the "top 100" page on eBird for your favourite hotspot / yard / county / province / country literally anywhere, anytime of day, on your phone.
Ultimately, you're left with a significantly reduced number of birders at VWB, wondering where everyone else is.
And do you know what? That's probably ok. I'm not writing to try to convince anyone to change how they bird. I know there are still days with lots of birders present. I know keen young birders will still find their way in our hobby.
But I do wonder if more could be done to remind members of our community that there is joy to be had by simply spending time in the field. I personally love being outside in a storm - strong winds, rain, the sound of crashing waves. Seeing your first Pomarine Jaeger is exciting, no matter the context. I just hope everyone also gets the chance to see their first "unexpected" Pomarine Jaeger too, ripping down the beach at close range, on the edge of a squall.





No comments:
Post a Comment