My desire for some "earlier" season Morning Flight was still high (after missing an "early early" season day in late July). So it was back to Point Pelee!
https://ebird.org/checklist/S386892288
A bit of "night birding" went well, with EASO, CONI, 5 SESA, a few high passerines & a low warbler sp... A variety of bat species was also a major highlight.
The overnight radar was decent but not amazing. Things started slow, and got slower, to the point I was convinced that I had totally and unexpectedly busted on this attempt. The bird gods were just testing my faith however as a mad flurry of birds (30-45 mins) started around 8am.
The Tally:
Not too bad in the end. Perhaps my best fall flight of BAOR to date.
The bird gods fully smiled on my route home. A stop at Zion Rd. in Chatham-Kent (for insects & hummers) turned up one of my bigger nemesis birds in Ontario. SWALLOW-TAILED KITE! I don't think I could have asked for better viewing. 10+ minutes of the bird slowly moving westward - constantly distracted by dragonflies - pulling off every aerial acrobatic maneuver you can imagine to catch them.
Sometimes you just get lucky!



No comments:
Post a Comment