Friday, February 4, 2011

Distance day


Picture #600 ... Eastern Meadowlark from central Florida. I've spoken about travelling and photography  to the local naturalists club a few times - and this topic always comes up:

Not only are there new species (that you don't have at home) when travelling to see and photograph, but "regular" everyday species from home (like this Eastern Meadowlark) seem like totally different birds in Florida. 

I was near Lake Kissimmee to photograph Snail Kites, and after a successful morning in an airboat, I was off to Orlando. I noticed Meadowlarks all along this particular stretch of dirt road, so I literally put my Camera on my lap, stopped at the very next bird, took 3 pictures (one of which is shown above) and continued my drive. That 30 seconds of effort produced a better Meadowlark image than years of living in Ontario. Is the picture great? No... but it's almost full frame, and "passable" if someone comes looking for an image of the species...

--------------------

Some distance stories:

Ruddy Turnstone does some mega-flights: 



Polar Bear does mega swim:





No comments:

Post a Comment