Friday, February 18, 2011

Lynx me!!

It's official, I've made a break to Cochrane for the weekend to prevent myself from going too nuts working inside. Here's the skinny:

Expected year birds: White-winged Crossbill, Pine Grosbeak, Ruffed Grouse and Hoary Redpoll

I spent most of my time driving. Once I hit cobalt, I took some side roads and turned up the bird goodies while trying to not crash. The first BIG highlight was this:


Yes, that's a Lynx. I saw it crossing the road, slammed on the breaks, and managed a yelp to catch it's attention (for a photo) before it walked into the woods.). What a crazy cat!

On the drive I saw a Ruffed Grouse, a dead Spruce Grouse, and a dead grouse sp. Maybe a good year to be a lynx!

-----

It wasn't 30 mins later when my world was turned upside down! The skinny: I stopped to view a flock of redpolls, and eventually discovered a Redpoll feeding goldmine in the snowbanks nearby.. Parked my car and took 1000+ Redpoll photos over the next 5-6 hours. My final guess at numbers (a real guess)

"Southern" Common Redpoll - 25
"Greater/Greenland" Common Redpoll - 60
"Southern" Hoary Redpoll - 20
"Hornemann's" Hoary Redpoll - at least 2


Note, that should be     """Hornemann's" Hoary" Redpoll"

I'm a self professed Hornemanns skeptic, but I have a feeling that this blog will have some redpoll chatter over the next few weeks when I get my images in order. For now, here's the two birds that best matched proposed field marks for finding oneself a "Hornemann's"


Far left and far right birds, the two biggest redpolls in the flock (with 3 "southern" common Redpolls here). 

Yes the magic of photoshop combined 5 pictures to make this one, but I used the seeds to line up the images, so the birds location and size to each other should be fairly accurate. It was the only time I saw these 2 close together, and this was the best I could do for a photo.  


Anyways, Redpolls are more confusing than gulls, so stay tuned for more photos of more odd birds. 


--------------\

 Now all I can hope for is some good looks at some of these Owls being seen around Ontario! Check these out:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/1920/3959137/owl/upload/
Boreal Owl

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/1920/3870767/owl/upload/
Mexican Screech-Owl

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/1920/3971639/owl/upload/
Great Horned Owl

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/your_weather/details/1920/3980877/owl/upload/
Burrowing Owl


Anyways, I jest. There is some really neat pictures being posted on the weather network, if you know how to find them. It's unfortunate that the whole thing is just a free-picture grab scam by the weather network (read the fine print on what they can do with the pictures you post) ... but it is fun.


----

Yes I wrote that owl thing a few days ago.. Back to Redpolls and ready for birding tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandon,
    Great work, love the James Bay Frontier..I spent much of my younger years in Timmins, named our son Matheson..The Lynx is one lucky find! I have spoke to many Northerners who live all their lives and have only heard not seen. Some 13 years ago my wife and I were leaving the Polar Bear Express from Cochrane heading to Timmins on 655 it was midnight, pitch dark. Milkyway amazing, Great Horned Owl Silhouette, One Cow Moose and red eyes coming right at us. Pulled my jeep into the shoulder the Lynx sat in front of my car for a couple minutes...CAMERA buried no Pictures!! But memories for a life time.

    ReplyDelete