Monday, February 21, 2011

Gray Wolf




It's tough to compare the surprise and sudden excitement when you spot any manner of animal you rarely see. There I was, flying down a snow covered road*, when I see a WOLF sleeping on the edge of the woods. I was already past before my thoughts were fully processed. I had done this several times before, and sprung into action:

- stop the car far enough up the road to not scare the animal
- turn off radio/music
- turn off hot air (turned on the AC)
- open all windows**
- grab camera off back seat
- check exposure/settings to make sure the image will turn out
- position camera out window in proper position for shooting.


Now all I had to do was get back to the spot where the wolf was! In order to shoot out the drivers side window, I decide to go in reverse (with my camera half out the window). Thankfully there was virtually no traffic anywhere on this road, and the plan seemed like it was going to work.

---

The car comes to a stop and the confusion begins. The wolf is still sleeping, and i'm not 40ft away. I snap a few photos, and begin to think of this situation. We experience a rush when seeing a rare animal like this for that exact reason; it is very rare to encounter them anywhere! Their mystique fascinates us. If they showed up under our bird feeders and ate our birdseed, many would end up trying to deter their presence. A wild/happy/healthy Wolf is generally away from human eyes - so what's going on here?

Working in Algonquin Park for a few summers taught me that enough people can eventually tame just about any animal. They can really make a photographers day. I had a fantastic encounter with a Black Bear, taking dozens of photos, as it ate roadside berries 30ft off of the highway with 25+ people watching.  Had someone been feeding this Wolf? Causing it to prowl the sides of the road looking for handouts? The wolf then raises its head.


Maybe it was in the back of my mind the entire time, but it is better to ignore it until proven otherwise. A magnificent creature (a "life mammal" for myself) making a living in the seemingly lifeless environment of the boreal forest in winter. More often than not, views like this come at a price. The wolf starts to stir, and all of the surprise/excitement/mystique fades into rather harsh understanding. It can barely get to its feet, and is clearly either gravely sick or badly injured. It's not sadness that replaces all of my emotions (well, maybe a little) but mainly understanding. I've seen this many times before while out enjoying nature. This magnificent beast is reaching the end of its line.


There is not a single wolf that has ever walked on the planet, that hasn't passed on already, or will do so in the not-too-distant future. As with most things, it's seeing it with our own eyes that makes it real, unlike the others that are never seen deep in the northern woods. I decide to turn on the car, and drive off rather abruptly. I put things back into context; I had never seen a Gray Wolf before in my life, and even managed a few photos. No need to be sad! (well, not too sad)... 







* (Hwy 652, towards the Detour Lake Gold Mine) - pretty darn far north!
** hot air out the car window makes pictures blurry. It has to be COLD inside the car to get the shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment