Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Finding rare birds!



84% of the reason why I bird is finding rare birds. I still haven't really figured out why (I mean, I know why, but not REALLY why) but it's just tops.

Since we've just passed the half way mark of the year, I started to look back at how this year has been over-the-top crazy for my personal "self found" list. The way it's shaken down so far:

Feb 18 --- 5(+) Hornemann's Hoary Redpolls - near Matheson, ON.
Apr 2 --- Ross's Goose - Mountsberg C.A. (Hamilton) ON. (with Jennifer)
Apr 19 --- Eurasian Wigeon on Amherst
Apr 24 --- Neotropic Cormorant near Pelee
Apr 27 --- Glossy Ibis on Pelee Island (all next birds with Ken Burrell)
Apr 27 --- Eared Grebe on Pelee Island
Apr 27 --- Yellow-throated Warbler on Pelee Island
Apr 28 --- Summer Tanager (ad male) on Pelee Island (first of 8 for the spring)
Apr 28 --- Laughing Gull (ad) - to cap off a really nutty 24 hour rarity-spree
May 10 --- Kirtland's Warbler on Pelee Island (w/ the Burrells, Jenn and Dad)
May 14 --- Parasitic Jaeger on Pelee Island (Mom, Dad, K Burrell)
May 16 --- 2 Fish Crow's at Point Pelee (w/ Dad)
May 21 --- Western Tanager at Point Pelee (with 2 Summer Tanagers on the same morning!) (W/ K Burrell)



So when May was all said and done, I actually had more "self-found" rarities (to date) in 2011 than pretty much every other year I've been birding. Consider the fact I usually find a lot more in the fall than the spring, and something crazy has happened. My year list on Jun 30th was 265, and I had actually "self found" 256 of those!

I took a bit of a break for the month of June, but I'm getting "ready to go" when things begin to shake down in the next few weeks.

First up is rare shorebirds! It's a bit tough to do the required searching for July shorebirds, but whenever work allows, I try and stop by any good habitat in mid to late July. Here's the reason why:

(Ontario records):


Aug 1 – 1948 – Wandering Tattler – Windmill Point, Niagara
July 11-15, 1960 Wandering Tattler – Windmill Point, Niagara
July 25, 1976 – Spotted Redshank  - Niagara
July 11, 1976 – Red-necked Stint – Toronto, previously accepted,  then rejected by the OBRC. Next record will add the species to the Ontario list. Date sounds good for RNST, and Sanderling.
July 19-24, 1990 – Spotted Redshank – Cassleman
July 25, 1992 – Little Stint – Casselman
July 31-Aug1 – 1997 – “Palaearctic” Dunlin - Hamilton
 July 31, 2008 – Little Stint -  Townsend Sewage Lagoons – my record (that I count), not accepted by the OBRC though!

Ruff, Curlew Sandpiper, American Avocet (etc) also have a pretty good record of occurring in July. 6 of Michigan's 8 fall records of Curlew Sandpiper have occurred in July! (dates of 11, 16, 20, 20, 29. 30

Not too bad at all! I have a theory that a lot of these birds shown above are actually "failed breeders" that spent the summer somewhere in Arctic Canada/Alaska - and were the only members of their species, couldn't find mates, and head south somewhat early. (Not that many people agree with me on that one) - but i'm sticking with it... Clearly it doesn't apply to all species (Eg,// Ad. Short-billed Dowitchers peak in the 2nd week of July for Ontario)

But anyways.. July it a fairly slow time for rarities in Ontario, but these mega-rare shorebirds definitely have a pattern of occurring this month. Some other huge rarities have occurred in the same time frame (Crested Caracara's for one)

(Ruff! I've found a few in Ontario.. So I'd happily take a Curlew Sandpiper now!)



So yeah! That's my birding forecast for the next few weeks... More rarities will be up for grabs in August (less-rare shorebirds, herons etc) ...


--------------------------

Editors note: I wrote this back in June, but have been saving the posts. Clearly Josh Vandermulen is on the ball, and is already out finding rare shorebirds:

http://joshvandermeulen.blogspot.com/2011/07/fall-shorebird-blitz-kicks-off-with.html

If you haven't seen his blog, do take a look at the whole thing. It's superb!


-----

Pre-post edit #2 - Ruff! in ME

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhitchcox/5899274314/in/pool-437129@N20

2 comments:

  1. My son just got back from post-grad camping at the Pinery, and showed me a sketch he made of a soaring scimitar-winged bird he saw... the best match for me was Whire-winged Tern. I only wish it was possible for me to get out and confirm. Improbable, yes, but not impossible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already in the past few weeks there have been some really nice Old World shorebirds appearing, some apparently summering and maybe a true migrant or two. Lesser Sand-plover in CA, RN Stint in TX, and a nice male Ruff in Maine the other day (on the heels of a Little Egret in the same spot a few days prior). Game on!

    ReplyDelete