Wednesday, July 20, 2011

"My mind changed me so much I cant even trust myself " - Modest Mouse

The plan was simple - zodiac - and zodiac some more.

Problem: weather forecasts vs. reality

result:


Well we have the zodiac primed for the 2011 pelagic season, but yesterdays weather forecast (calm) was wrong (20+kmh NE winds)... So my Dad and I decided to hit the dusty trail around my parents new home (RBG/Valley Inn/Woodland Cemetery). 



Not surprisingly, there is very little to report, but it was a fun walk. I played around with the new camera, and we saw just about everything you'd expect (Green/Black-crowned Night-Herons, Trumpeter Swans were maybe the highlights?)

(said Trump's - I know someone who hasn't seen these yet this year, but I won't name names


Maybe the most interesting thing we saw was some uncommon bugs:


Namley, this Silver-spotted Skipper in the Hendrie Valley, and a Spot-winged Glider at Woodland Cemetery


For reason's unknown, we went to Van Wagner's Beach for just over an hour, and had very little there too! (Who woulda guessed). My Dad actually spotted an adult male Red-breasted Merganser, which was a fun observation. Although the highlight might have actually been this fire:



I have more field work "on the go" for the next few days, so I'll hopefully be stopping in at some sewage lagoons etc. and have some real birding reports. 


---------------------------------------------------------


Only a few other things of note recently. Ken Burrell and I actually spotted an odd duckling a few days ago, which I was able to document:


Orange bill points to some pretty heavy leucisim? Or is it partial albinisim? actually I'm not that worried about it. 


---

Ok I think that's it... I'll leave with a new Frog Photo (taken yesterday).. I'm not thrilled by it, but maybe Frog Photography will become a new hobby:





No comments:

Post a Comment