Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pelee Area bad news #1 - The Kingsville GG Owl



Here's the latest:

OPP / MNR press release:




January 10th, 2012 Kingsville - The presence of an OWL in the Kingsville area has drawn attention from all over the Country and USA. Nature lovers have flocked to the area in attempts to get a view of this OWL. Unfortunately, some of these watchers are failing to stay safe while attending the area. The OPP would like to inform the citizens to park their vehicles in safe and lawful locations. As well as, ensuring that they position themselves and their viewing equipment in safe locations. The OPP have received numerous reports of dangerous conditions created by some of these bird watchers. The following is a release sent on behalf of the Ministry of the Natural Resources. "A Great Grey Owl has been residing in Essex County since before Christmas, and has provided birders with the opportunity to see and photograph this beautiful bird up close. This species is not considered rare in Ontario, but it is rare to see one in south-western Ontario. Great Grey Owls are protected under the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Act. The MNR advises people to stay 30-40 meters away from this bird and other raptors to reduce potential stress on the bird and avoid possible human-wildlife conflict." Any questions concerning the Owl and habitat can be directed to: Cale Selby A/District Strategic Officer Ministry of Natural Resources 615 John Street North Aylmer, ONN5H 2S8 519-773-4790 Any questions concerning public safety can be directed to Sgt Rick Tonial Essex County OPP Media Officer Sgt Rick Tonial
=============================


I can personally say that I would like to improve my Great Gray Owl photos, as they were taken in the 2004-2005 GGOW invasion, and I was only a few years into my photographic endavour. My knowledge of the craft and style has changed dramatically since then, and while I was very happy with them at the time, they seriously lack the emotion I would expect to get today.

With that said, there is no way in heck you'll catch me travelling down to Kingsville to photograph the tame individual there. Sure, it's a spectacular chance to get some photos - but the circus involved in getting photos like this has become too much for me to bear.

--- It may sound all "high and mighty of me", but I really just can't stand it. I usually go birding to avoid people, as a time to relax and not think about everything that is bothering me.. These combo twitch/photographic birds are probably the most stressed out I get while birding. I honestly believe that what most people are doing (as an individual) isn't really bad for birding or the community, yet the pressure-cooker that is created by having so many people in the same place with the same individual bird will do nothing but cause trouble.

----- in my opinion, people are never going to agree on touchy subjects... You can't keep everyone happy, yet at the same time there must be some sort of thought surfacing in the back of your mind (when preforming a controversial act), that even if you are 100% fine with it, it will be bothering someone else, or make you (or birders/photographers in general) look bad. Being in a situation like this with so many people is going to cause disagreements and people are going to get upset. I don't see a way around it.

--- so what am I trying to say here? Nothing. Nothing at all. I'm just ranting. I have my own personal views, and they're going to be different from yours. It may sound like it, but I'm actually not trying to change your views on situations like this. Twitch the bird, visit the location 38 days in a row to try and obtain that great photograph - I really don't care. I'm just ranting because it's my blog, and I can do what I feel like.... And felt like talking about it, and telling the story of why I rarely go see birds like this anymore.


End rant!

No comments:

Post a Comment