Thursday, August 16, 2012

Nature Photography 104: Part 14: Winter Raptor pics from, well, last winter...



To make a very long story short, I keep finding myself annoyed with nature photography. I was very worked up a few days (now months) ago, when I became quite confident that the winner of a fairly large photo contest must have edited/doctored the photo... I then look at said persons website, and found some very blatant editing along with large amounts of shameless self-promotion as a truly expert photographer. 

This really wasn't anything new, but I learned something from it: People can do whatever the heck they want, and I shouldn't care about it. If it bothers me, I can just focus on how I conduct myself and my photography! And with that said, I had the idea to reveal some of the work done on my own photos on my personal website. 

Are you ready for a look at everything you may or may not already know about nature photography? I'll post the website version first, followed by the totally un-edited original.


____________________________________________



This one is little more than my personal curiosity... I felt like my editing has been slowly changing (well it has) since I started photography... But more recently it seems like I'm doing less and less when it comes to changing the colour and contrast (among other editing options).. And figured the best way to do that would be to do an NP104 on some "recent" images... I happened to have the un-edited originals from some winter raptor pics handy, and it was just easy to use them!




A "drive-by" shooting of a SEOW, I had to rotate the image a bit... But that is sort of expected when shooting hand-held from a driving/moving car... I cropped it a bit tighter in the process, but not a lot else done I think?? 






Dark Rough-legged Hawk -- I think I took all 4 of these photos while working --- whoops.... Anyways, this was one of my first times where I intentionally used my new 300mm F 2.8 lens with the 2.0 x teleconverter... I don't really like the 2.0x TC --- and no one is going to change my mind --- but yeah... It wasn't AS sharp as I would have liked, so I left it without cropping... Not one of my favourite photos ever, but it was still ok enough to make it online... 







I have a huge number of SNOW pics, but most of them are flying and baited (something I do a LOT less of these days)... This one was a natural perched shot at the side of the road... Similar to the Rough-legged Hawk, I really wasn't THAT happy with the image, but decided to put it online anyways... Heck, most of the time pictures I "sell" are the ones I like the least anyways... 








Short-eared Owl at dusk --- one of my favourite pics from 2012 already, I was EXTREMELY happy with this one... And yes, I did push the colours a bit more in the final version, I didn't feel like I was cheating anyone with the results... The key was the distance involved --- when the bird is farther away (and using big glass), I can take better advantage of the extra-colourful strip right on the horizon... 

Which I guess sort of IS trickery, considering the entire sky wasn't orange as this photo implies... but yeah.... 

=======


So what do you think? Any comments? Anyone care? ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment