Friday, January 4, 2013

Short condo birding update + Condo theory




Some condo theory... Here's some rarities I have in mind for the "patch"...  (for no reason at all, I did it in sets of 3)...


3 rarities I expect before too long:

American White Pelican
Northern Gannet
Cave Swallow


3 rarities I know have history in the area, and would be exciting, but yeah - not totally unexpected?

Fish Crow
Common Eider
Swainson's Hawk


3 rarities I "just have a feeling" I'll be able to find in the patch:

Northern Fulmar
Great Cormorant
White-winged Dove


3 rarities I feel like shouldn't be expected here at all, but for some reason, they just might...

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Eurasian Wigeon
Monk Parakeet


My 3 ultimate "wish list" birds for the patch:

Gyrfalcon
Ross's Gull
Ivory Gull


Why?? I dunno.. Just cause... :)


=============


Condo update, short and sweet:

Dec 27th - LOTS of gulls on the move, LOTS of canada goose flocks.. My window was frozen closed for the first time, meaning the viewing wasn't as clear as before... (I eventually got it open)..

For the first time in days, the mega-masses of LT Ducks and WW Scoters returned... Where do they go??

I had to leave early, so a short watch!



Dec 28 - watched for a while and saw NOTHING! (of note)...

Dec 31st - again, didn't have much time to watch. My mornings were starting in the afternoon...

Did manage a 1st winter Kumlien's Gull right along hte shore, going west...


Jan 1st - started the morning watch at 3:30pm... Around dusk, several large flocks of Canada Geese came in off the lake - moving inland -but I just couldn't manage any goodies with them...




Insane duck carpets on the lake... 




No comments:

Post a Comment