Friday, June 8, 2012

Everglades National Park - Anhingia Trail




Everglades National Park - Anhingia Trail 

Letter on map: I


A major stop during my Florida Trip was Everglades NP. World famous, and I had to do it.  I had just nailed my target species (Reddish Egret) at my last stop, so it was time to finally hit some habitats other than saltwater lagoons.

My target location is the famous Anhingia Trail, not too far inside the park entrance. It is known for being a short but extremely productive trail that is loaded with ultra-tame “wildlife”. The hardest part is trying to figure out where the “good” photo opportunities are, since birds are littered everywhere (Black Vultures and Cormorants are like pets).

I really enjoyed the change of species, since (I think) it was all fresh water here. Purple Gallinules, Green Herons, Wood Storks, Little Blue/Great Blue Herons, Black Vultures and the expected Anhingia’s kept me quite busy. I even saw my first Short-tailed Hawk soaring overhead, although I didn’t get much in the way of photos.  Lots of gators too!

This is a “must” location for photographers to visit, even if only for a short while. I felt somewhat uncomfortable by the large crowds, but was happy with the pics I got. After spending 1 morning there, I decided to travel futher into the park. Here’s some shots from the ANHI trail:







No comments:

Post a Comment