Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Green Cay Nature Centre & Area

Florida Trip – Green Cay Nature Centre and area


Letter on map: K

One of my favourite places on my trip, was the Green Cay Nature Centre, with the nearby Wakodachee Wetlands, although I spent most of my time at Green Cay. I did not visit the nearby Loxahatchee NWR
In contrast to my other locations I visited, this place was unique in being a sewage lagoon that had been turned into a massive interpretive nature centre with a spectacular boardwalk, building and habitats for fresh water creatures. I had heard many photographers disliked the location due to the height of the boardwalk, but I found that working with my 600mm lens cut down the problem and made for great photos.

I was extremely happy to nail some species I was still missing like Limpkin, Glossy Ibis, Mottled Duck and (better) pics of Purple Gallinule. Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks were around, but I didn’t get them as well as I would have liked. This was probably one of my most productive locations, with numerous photo-op’s with unexpected species as well (incld both species of Teal and Sora). Here’s a sample:










These two spots are a “must” if you’re a photographer and in the area. Outside Wakodachee wetlands I had one of those “life-changing” bird moments with a Sandhill Crane (uncommon for the area). A very cooperative individual was 100% accepting with my presence, and allowed me to be right beside it while it was feeding!



At one point, I actually attempted to touch the bird (it didn’t let me) but it wasn’t scared of me either. I really enjoy chances like this, as it allows me to be creative, and I eventually took what would become one of my favourite pictures I’ve ever taken



No comments:

Post a Comment