Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tape Delay Netitishi - day 2



It took me a while to find a taxi early on a Saturday... Actually - I didn't!  A guard from the OPP Office gave me a ride to the airport! (How cool is that?)...

Wandering around for a Taxi turned up an ok bird in a very late American Crow -

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15733441

A nice Red Fox was near the airport - but no luck with the Great Gray Owl I had heard about the afternoon before.


---------

The helicopter ride was pretty sweet - nailing some Sharp-tailed Grouse and 2 bull MOOSE quite close to the point itself...

Just being in a Helicopter is a pretty fun experience - and the scenery is sweet up there..

---------


By 9am - I was at NETITISHI BABY!!!!!!! After meeting the family who owns the land for the first time, I was birding in no time (they're really nice - but so is the birding).

DAS BIRDS -

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15733463


I was surprised to see the Snowy Owls! People were yammering about a "non-flight-year" for the species before I had left.. Didn't look that way up here! There is something truly magical about seeing Snowy Owls glide in from the open water of James Bay... 2 spent the day where I could watch them chillax, waiting for darkness...

---------

I managed to get a few days of firewood ready - and was excited about the storm in the forecast for Monday


The first of many snowies - who knew we'd have a major southward push this year? 



No comments:

Post a Comment