Monday, September 26, 2011

Dragonfly photography from the Summer of 2011

Some of my favourite ode pictures from this summer, starting off with my favourite favourite:



Female Sedge Darner. I thought this gal looked spectacular in her own right, and was thrilled to get a nice shot. 



Male Sedge  Darner (not nearly as nice, in all categories)


male Zigzag Darner



male Subarctic Darner (another favourite image) the female is below (and not quite as good) 





female Lake Darner


Common Green Darner


----------------

the above were from James Bay, the below are from Silent Lake PP:


Crimson-ringed? Whiteface



Calico Pennant



Slaty Skimmer (pretty fond of this one too)


Belted? Whiteface


And a few from elsewhere in Ontario:


Powdered Dancer



Halloween Pennant (and this one) 


Halloween Pennant part deux






I think I have most of these on their species pages now : 






\

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots! I am just wondering if any of these are "posed" or if you found the darners posing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Brandon! I kind of wish sometimes that birds had great english names like the dragonflies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! --- Nathan, the Darners were posed (after I caught them, and identified them as the "northern" species I was after)...

    The rest were found naturally! (Actually, the female lake darner is also a natural pose).

    brandon

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! Did you see any emeralds at Netitishi? Several really northern Somatochlora make it into the James Bay lowlands.

    ReplyDelete