Monday, September 12, 2011

Zodiac adventure - Sept 11 - Van Wagner's

Just a quick post... I'm actually waiting in the airport!



My dad and I were out in the zodiac for most of the day yesterday... We had some Jaegers:\

2 Long-tailed Jaegers (both Juveniles - one in the morning, one mid afternoon) - didn't really stick around though

~4-5 Parasitic Jaegers (all juveniles, came around the boat for a while, but didn't stick around)

1 Black Tern (baby)

and the un-questionable story of the day:

Sabine's Gulls... Sabine's Gulls out the wa-zoo...  Suddenly (near mid day) we had a mega-flock of 18 Juveniles (pure flock, staying close together) arrive over the boat. Fly around quickly, then landed on the water just behind us!  My Dad used his expert boating skills to pull us within 15feet of the entire flock on two occasions, and they even breifly flew over the boat as they relocated (feeding on the surface like phalaropes)  ... We actually had at the flock take flight and fly not 1-2 feet over our heads! It was really spectacular... They eventually flew towards shore high, and we assumed they went inland)


We missed a flock of 5 (people on shore saw them), then had 4 birds arrive around the boat (including a spectacular ADULT still in breeding plumage), and eventually another flock of roughly 14-17 birds (juveniles) land behind us again. Before they too went inland.


-----

I did manage some photos of the Sabines (including some flock shots), but I really need to get on an airplane! So I'll have to post some photos when I return... For now, just a single photo of the second Long-tailed Jaeger..





---------------

I may not have access to internet for a few days while I'm away.. So you may see an old (2009) Florida post or two as blog fodder!


No comments:

Post a Comment