Friday, September 9, 2011

Van Wagner's on Sept 7, 2011

A few days late, but here's the rundown:

My Dad and I spent roughly 8am-5:30pm at Van Wagner's watching for Jaegers. There were numerous sightings throughout the day, and thankfully a few close birds. The rundown:



1 Long-tailed Jaeger (juv) - seen quite close to shore mid-day was the only one I was 100% positive on the ID.

Parasitic Jaegers were seen throughout the day. We had maybe ~5 birds come to superb viewing distance (inside the wave tower)... Which was nice. High count for Jaegers visible at once was 4 (I think)

Black Tern - 1 (I actually missed it)

Sabine's Gull - probably 2 ... 1 early and 1 late.. One was close enough for a very nice scope view.

Lesser Black-backed Gull - 3 (2nd basic, adult and a very fresh Juvenile --- is there any chance this bird wasn't born in North America? I mean, come on!)

Peregrine Falcon - 2

Other birds included migrant Great BB Gulls, Purple Martins, a few swallows, 4 Black-bellied Plover, Sanderling, etc '




Pretty nice day!


Parasitic Jaeger
(the only shot I took of a Jaeger, with my little camera, as two flew right down the beach) 





--------



I actually just noticed that Peeter Musta just put some shots of that one (close-ish) Long-tailed Jaeger on his site.. Remarkable pics for the terrible conditions:

No comments:

Post a Comment