Wednesday, June 26, 2013

One of my favourite photos of the spring - by far...



Probably not groundbreaking news or anything, but the below image is one of my favourite photos of 2013 thus far (a major highlight of my spring at Pelee as well)...




I've finally got around to editing my final copy... With all the photos on the "good part" of my website (not the blog in general) are edited tiff's saved at the highest possible resolution. Typically they're full frame (or nearly so) and are around 45-40mb as 8bit Tiff files. 

This is really handy for me, as when I get requests for photos - I already have the high res ready and just have to email the files. 

It also works against me sometimes, when I only have 900 pixel long image online. The full res images are about 4900 pixels on the longest size - which equates to a LOT more detail (and looking better) on my computer screen than the versions people see online... 

Anyways - part of what really makes me happy with the above image is that the file I have on my computer is 2800 pixels on the long side - which is really good for a passerine in flight (I was pretty shocked it turned out)... And why it's one of my favourites!

---

So anyways, just a little background info. I would be happier if the above image had the birds bill separated from the wing (instead of overlapping) -- but that's not the kind of thing one can control. 


Image spec's - 

Canon 1DM4 DSLR with the 600mm F4 lens (hand held) ... 1/2500, F 6.3, ISO 1250 

---

Uploaded here: 


I focused on getting passerines in flight this spring, and may have a few more to show in due time. Watch this space! 



1 comment:

  1. Truly spectacular! I love the image from Algonquin too, the one with its beak open. Intesting to hear about the file sizes you use.

    ReplyDelete