Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hey- Remember this?





Remember this giant thing that bit me on Pelee Island last July?


I think I know what it is (was)............


http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/AQUATIC/Ps_ciliata.htm


Psorophora ciliata (Fabricius) is a large mosquito (Cutwa and O'Meara 2005) that has developed an outsized reputation because of its relatively intimidating heft and persistent biting behavior (Gladney and Turner 1969), including anecdotal historical accounts of its legendary aggressiveness (Wallis and Whitman 1971) and 'frightening appearance' (King et al. 1960). The 'gallinipper' or 'shaggy-legged gallinipper' was used as a common name for Psorophora ciliata in various published reports 



=================




And now I hope I never see this species ever again.... EVER.....






No comments:

Post a Comment