Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Condo watch - initialize!



Home in the evening on May 31st... Bit of a squall line moves in around 5:30pm.... You know what that means!?

TO THE WINDOW!!!

Awwwww ssS... wait... nvm.

-----------



View of the squall... The stuff down low is DUST being blown out over the lake! 



View to the west this time... If I ever try to sell my place (ha) .. I'm going to use these as an example of the view... 


So once I was no longer mesmerized by the weather, I started to watch for birds. Not long in (during the rain and high winds) I spotted a CRAZY bird flying in off the water. A Nighthawk!!!  Not sure exactly what it was doing, but I was really excited to add it to the patch list.. #144 for those who are counting (me).. 



(I was excited enough to take some distant pics of it)


Beyond that, nothing too unusual... 

----


aaa_Condo, Hamilton, CA-ON
May 31, 2013 5:40 PM - 6:25 PM
Protocol: Stationary
25 species

Canada Goose 4
Double-crested Cormorant X
Killdeer 1
Ring-billed Gull X
Herring Gull 7
Caspian Tern 7
Common Tern 60
Mourning Dove 4
Common Nighthawk 1
Chimney Swift 2
Purple Martin 6
Tree Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 8
Cliff Swallow 1
House Wren 1
American Robin 2
European Starling 1
Cedar Waxwing 15
Yellow Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
American Goldfinch 1
House Sparrow X




Aside from birds, I also had 3-4 Green Darners and 2-3 SADDLEBAG species (views too poor to tell) that flew in close to my building looking for cover from the bad elements.. I also watched a Martin eat a Green Darner on the wing (eating, dropping, catching again etc) - which was really cool.. 

Not much else afterwards! I keep hoping for more shorebirds whenever it rains, but it hasn't really happened yet.. 




Water flowing out the creek after the rain... Terns often arrive and feed along the edge, I presume looking for horribly lost tadpoles or minnows etc







No comments:

Post a Comment