Sunday, September 15, 2013

Patch birding - then boat birding! - Sep 14, 2013


I was actually trying to photograph the cormorant... 





I really didn't watch from my balcony (although I did have an empid fly past over 150ft up - what the heck?)... But I did rock my two closest woodlots in the patch:


Frances Woods - EBIRD time: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15169623


Highlights - Eastern Kingbird

First for patch - Northern Parula (2) and Philly Vireo


------------------------


Edgelake Park - EBIRD baby: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15169580


Highlights - 3 more Parulas

New for patch - Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak (4+), Northern Waterthrush


------------------------


Overall, it was pretty fun! 5 new species for the patch puts the list at 168... I've also lost my point-and-shoot camera so it'll be awhile until I start posting terrible record photos of marginally uncommon birds here again...


======================================


That evening my Dad and I did a semi-successful zodiac trip under questionable conditions. It's hard to keep track of what exactly is around when you're floating in a boat - but we had confirmed Sabine's Gulls, Pomarine Jaegers and Parasitic Jaegers...

Maybe I'll just add some colour to this post with some record paja photos:






Underexposed, but moving at near top "parasitic speed"










1 comment:

  1. I keep forgetting/neglecting to post about the weather and the potential for good days!

    I'm thinking tomorrow (Monday) will be another very interesting day at Van Wagner's Beach. Marine forecast for western Lake Ontario - 1 knot = 1.852kmh


    Strong wind warning in effect.

    Wind southwest 15 knots veering to northwest 15 this evening then increasing to northeast 20 Monday morning. Wind diminishing to northeast 10 Monday afternoon then backing to north 10 Monday evening.

    ReplyDelete