Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Birding Repor for Sep 17 - patch time



For some reason, I just wasn't feeling the lakewatch..... Meaning - patch birding!




It was a REALLY birdy morning (by patch standards). I picked up NINE new patch birds - highlighted by a Mourning Warbler - although most were just "filler" birds that I missed out on by working steadily through March and April....



I started at "Frances Woods" (tiny woodlot east of my condo). This had the MOWA mentioned above... EBIRD -

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15195229

34 species in that tiny stand'o'trees... including 11 warbler species.. I'll take it!!!


----------------


Given the "birdy-ness" - I walked straight to the west end of my patch (Confederation Park - old campground) and found more birds! Ebird.. Pssst, EBIRD -


http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15195280


A few shorebirds (LESA, SESA, LEYE) were in the pond. Only 1 Egret.. Lots of passerine migrants including 14 warbler species... I really fell like this place has all the right stuff for a rare passerine - but never get really excited when I'm actually there. Maybe someday?


Confederation Park last October.. Doesn't that just look like heaven to a Vermillion Flycatcher? 

----------------


Finally I couldn't pass up a quick walk through Edgelake Park (centre of the patch map) - given all the birds around - I ignored the fact that I was rather hungry for lunch... Ebird ebird ebird!  -

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15195197

Another 11 warbler species, including an awesome experience with 3 Parula's that pished within 10ft... I actually managed to get the entire Carolina Wren family really riled up with six birds scolding me at close range - all at the same time... It was pretty fun...



----------------


Overall it was fun! 18 total warbler species, and I somehow managed to miss Redstart (that other people said was one of the more common species they were seeing)... 75 species total was pretty good for totally ignoring Lake Ontario.. If you scanned the checklists - you'll notice that there was a very different flavour in the air in terms of birdlife - 10 Winter Wrens? Sapsuckers? Kinglets? White-throated Sparrows?

I maintain what I said a week or so ago - the weather is a lot of fun right now - but are we going to be upset when all the birds are gone by mid Oct?! Or will there be Gyr's around by then?!

Or will it change?!


Anyways - if you're interested in following along the old patch list (and seeing what 9 species were new ) - I uploaded/updated the list:

http://peregrineprints.com/ind__patch.htm


----------------

This post is lacking in crummy record bird photos!



Lesser Black from my balcony on the 16th... 


Sanderling at Lakeland Centre on the 16th... 


Late update - 1 Parasitic Jaeger and 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (both juveniles) around 6pm...


====================

This was 10 years ago today -





No comments:

Post a Comment